Glendale is located at the juncture of two large valleys, the San Fernando and the San Gabriel. It is the third largest city in Los Angeles County. Historically the area was long inhabited by the Tongva people (or "People of the Earth"), who were later renamed the Gabrieleños by the Spanish missionaries, after the nearby Mission San Gabriel Arcángel. In 1789 in the era of the Califoñianos, Rancho San Rafael (Glendale area) was a Spanish concession given to José María Verdugo, a corporal in the Spanish army from Baja California. José María Verdugo used the land for grazing and farming. Today Glendale has a diverse population including the largest Armenian group in the country.